For Book Clubs
- Why is the book organized the way it is? Do you find that arrangement effective?
- Which months did you find most interesting? Why?
- What surprised you most about Montana in 1864?
- How did native nations respond to the rush of emigrants?
- How did the Civil War play out in the new territory?
- How did the gold rush change Montana?
- Compare and contrast women’s and men’s experiences during the transformational year of 1864.
- Which elements of 1864 are still with us today?
- Has this book inspired you to study more Montana history—why or why not?